Today’s topic for 5 Days to More Calm is self-care!
First, we’ll start with a definition. The Oxford Dictionary defines self-care as “the practice of taking an active role in protecting one’s own well-being and happiness, in particular during periods of stress.”
Many times, when people talk about self-care, it’s related to things like getting our hair and nails done, going to get a massage or going on a vacation. While there’s nothing wrong with doing these things (and they are a part of taking care of you), self-care is much more than that. It’s about making sure you’re doing/feeling good and thriving physically, mentally, emotionally and spiritually. But as women/mothers/caregivers, it’s often challenging for us to actually practice self-care. Many times, we:
- Feel we don’t deserve it.
- Feel guilty about doing it.
- Think we can’t make time.
- Feel that we don’t have enough resources to do so.
Why is self-care important?
- It can improve your physical health.
- Improves your emotional wellness.
- You feel better and are less likely to experience burnout.
- It helps other people (and yourself) see your worth and know your needs are important because you’re putting you first
- You’re better able to take care of your children and others because your cup is full.
- It allows you to better deal with stress.
Here are various ways to practice self-care:
- Pray/speak with your Higher Power/ancestors.
- Spend time alone.
- Try crystal healing.
- Create a sacred space.
- Practice gratitude.
- Acknowledge how you feel.
- Journal (about your feelings).
- Find positive outlets/hobbies.
- Get support by talking to someone you trust or trying therapy.
- Try to avoid people/situations that trigger not-so-great feelings.
- Be in the present moment.
- Use positive affirmations.
- Take a social media break.
- Move your body.
- Stay hydrated.
- Get enough sleep..
- Eat more healthful.
- Take breaks more often.
If you’re ready to up your self-care game and create more calm and inner peace in your life, check out Black Mom’s Calm subscription offering! You can get access to guided meditations, monthly chats, personalized affirmations and more! Learn more and sign up here.