What you think and say to and about yourself has a huge impact on how you feel and the way you live your life. This is why using affirmations is so important! If you want to have more inner peace, joy, harmony, abundance (just to name a few), you have to focus on and speak life about what you want.
One definition of affirmations is “simple, positive statements declaring specific goals in their completed states.” (Jack Canfield)
I’ve been writing down positive quotes since I was in high school, and I think I first heard the word “affirmation” when I was in college or right after. I’ve been using them consistently for 10+ years, and they have improved my life — and me — greatly.
What are benefits of using affirmations? They:
- Allow you to become more aware of your thoughts so you can focus on the ones that serve you.
- Help you form a more positive, productive mindset.
- Improve the quality of your life.
- Assist in creating the positive changes you need to make in yourself and your life.
Ways to get started with using affirmations:
- Find ones you like on Google or Pinterest (even create a board) and check out the Find Your Calm Affirmation Cards.
- Write your own (see below) or ones you find, and put them on index cards or on sticky notes around your home.
- Record them and listen to them in the morning or at night.
- Use them as mantras while meditating.
A few tips for writing your own:
- Think about/focus on what you want (not what you don’t want).
- Write them positively (for example, “I experience calm,” not “I’m not stressed.”).
- Start with “I am” or “I have.” If you have trouble really believing what you’re saying, you can say something like, “I choose to believe …” or “I believe it’s possible…”
- Keep them short (so you can remember them more easily when you need to).
Interested in receiving monthly affirmations that will allow you to feel more calm? Learn more about our subscription service on Patreon!