I’m sure you’re well aware that the journey to being a more calm mama can be a challenging one. That’s why you’re here, right?
You want to know exactly how you can manage/lessen your stress, overcome your overwhelm, and find calm in your daily life.
I get it — with all you have going on, it can be hard to create calm. And feeling like you have the time to do so can be harder.
There are going to be times when you feel like you just can’t deal with the ups and downs of trying to stay in a peaceful space.
- You’ll want to just lie on the couch, binging on Netflix, munching on chips and ice cream (which, by the way, won’t actually do anything to lessen your stress in the long run).
- You’ll want to hit snooze and stay in bed that extra 10 minutes — even though you know that time is essential if you want get centered and grounded for a positive and peaceful day.
Yeah, the journey to staying calm most of the time will get challenging. So, how do you make sure you don’t give up?
What’s Motivating You?
It’s all about focusing on why you want to have more calm in the first place. And everyone has different reasons:
- You want to improve your physical health (lower your blood pressure, for example).
- You want to be more balanced and harmonized.
- You want to feel better mentally and emotionally.
- You want to feel less anxious and depressed.
- You simply want to feel less stressed and overwhelmed (because that’s a sucky feeling to have ALL THE TIME).
Whatever your reasons, they have to be good and you have to keep them in mind.
So, the big question is: What’s your why for wanting to overcome your overwhelm and find your calm? What will finding calm do for your life?
Many times, we think just wanting the thing we want is good enough, but if our reasons aren’t compelling enough, it can be hard to keep the faith that we can actually do it.
Here’s a quick to-do for you: Grab a post-it note or sheet of paper and write this down:
I want to find my calm because ______.
Look at it whenever you feel too overwhelmed or tired to continue with your calm practices.
A few other ways to stay motivated when the process gets really challenging:
Know that you deserve it. As Black women (and moms in particular), we’ve been taught that we just have to “deal with it” when it comes to stress and that we have to put our wants, needs, and well-being on the backburner — if we even deal with them at all.
If/when you feel like taking time for yourself is frivolous and unnecessary, remind yourself that inner peace is something we all deserve, including — and especially — you.
Remember that you’re setting the example for your child(ren). Our children do what we do, not necessarily what we tell them to. So, if you want them (especially your girls) to practice self-care and be able to stay calm in the midst of life’s challenges, you have to model that for them.
Remember it can make your entire life better. How? Learning to find your calm and live from a space of peace allows you to worry less, relax more, hear your intuition so you can make the best decisions in your life, and create more positive energy.
Of course, I also have your back in this process. Black Mom Calm Monthly was created to guide you in going from chaos to calm. Support is also a huge contributing factor in creating more balance and having more peace. If you want to stay focused, and keep moving to your goal of more calm together, subscribe here.