One thing I’ve done for the new year for the past five years is come up with one word or theme to focus on. I don’t remember where I first heard about doing this (maybe Happy Black Woman?), but I really like the idea because it gives me something positive to focus on and is basically a goal or practice for the year.
With that said, My theme/word for 2019 is self-love. This year, I meditated and slept on what my theme should be, and this is what ultimately came up. While I’ve been doing a lot of healing work the past year and a half or so, self-love is something that I’m still working on practicing, especially as it relates to my own inner dialogue.
If you’ve never done this before and want to create your own word/theme (or even phrase) for the new year, here are a couple of tips:
- Ask Spirit what your word should be. If nothing comes to you immediately, take a few minutes to meditate or sleep on it with the intention of it coming to you.
- Another option is to make a list of words that resonate with you and choose one. Maybe it’s something you know you need to work on, a goal you’ve had, or something you’ve been thinking about lately. You can also think about how you want your year to be and/or how you want to feel this year.
Some ideas for words/themes:
I got this.
Ways to use your word
- Make a graphic for your lock screen or computer background.
- Create affirmations around your word.
- Write down what it means for you.
- Make a vision board about it.
Have you come up with your theme for 2019 yet? I’d love to hear about it! Leave a comment below.
Resource used: alwayswellwithin.com.