Although empaths tend to experience it in a more pronounced way, I believe we all feel when we’re in negative environments or when people around us affect our energy in not-so-great ways. The good news is that there are ways you can protect yourself and clear energy that’s not serving you. Here are four techniques to try:
1. Smudging is an ancient practice in which you burn sacred plants (like sage, for example) and allow the smoke to clear and bless a space — or yourself. I smudge our apartment, and myself, with sage weekly, but I also smudge myself when my energy is off or I’m feeling down, frustrated, anxious, etc.. Here’s how to do it:
- Light the stick, and let it catch fire.
- Let the fire out, letting the smoke billow from the stick.
- If you’re smudging your home, walk around along each wall (or close to each wall), allowing the smoke to go everywhere. If you’re smudging yourself, wave the smoke, starting from your feet and moving up, over you body in front of and behind you. While smudging, you can verbalize what you’re releasing; For example, “I release doubt. I release fear. I release anything that no longer serves me.”
- When you’re done, open a door or window to allow the old energy to leave.
2. Visualization. This is a technique you can practice if you know in advance you’re going to be in a negative environment or around negative people (say, work or around certain family members) and you want to protect yourself:
- Sit comfortably and breathe deeply.
- Visualize yourself surrounded by an orb of white light and love. See that it’s only you within this circle, and nothing can get to you.
- You can practice “wearing” the orb throughout your day, and before you deal with people/situations/places that drain you. The visual will let love and light come through while fending off and releasing any energy that’s not serving you.
3. Affirmations are a great way to change your mindset and help you stay focused on the positive. Here are a few to use:
- I release any and everything that does not serve me.
- I release all fear, anxiety, and overwhelm.
- I let go of all negativity from my mind and body.
- I easily let go of thoughts and beliefs that disempower me.
- I release anything, any person, and any situation that keeps me from moving forward.
4. Crystal healing. Over the past few months, I’ve really been into learning more and using crystals for my mental and emotional wellness. One of my favorite crystals for getting rid of negative energy and feeling more positive is smoky quartz. Other crystals to try:
Black tourmaline absorbs negative energy and turns it into positive energy, provides energetic protection, and helps with stress relief.
Selentine cleanses and purifies your energy and provides protective energy.
What do you do to cleanse energy that’s not serving you? Let me know by leaving a comment below!
“Today is your day to let go of things that no longer serve you.”