It’s a new month, and that means it’s time for a new yoga pose! June’s is standing pigeon pose, which is great hip opener. Additionally, the hips are where we often hold pent-up emotions and negative feelings; hip openers can also create space for new ideas and pathways. So, if you have tight hips and/or sit a lot, this pose is for you.
Here’s how to do it:
- Stand on your mat or the floor with your feet hip distance.
- Make sure your right foot is firmly planted. Bring your hands to your heart, then cross your left ankle over your right thigh.
- Exhale, bend your right knee, and bring your torso down towards your legs. On each exhale, come down a little further; the further down you come, the deeper the stretch will be.
- Stay for 5-10 breaths, and on an inhale, come to standing.
- Repeat on the other side.
“You will find that it is necessary to let things go; simply for the reason that they are heavy.” – Unknown